Selling listings to pet shops on your directory website can be a straightforward process if you’re ready do what it takes.
As you seek various ways of generating income through your online business directory, you must consider pet shops as an excellent inclusion for your website. Pets market themselves as adorable as they are, and most pet shops only need positive publicity, visibility, and other things, which directory websites offer.
A recent Forbes research reflected the rise in pet spending and their overall popularity in the US. As of 2024, 66% of American households own pets, with pet owners spending a whopping $136.8 billion on their pets in 2022. Although this is just one country, it represents the reality in most of the planet’s households.
With these numbers in mind, consider taking advantage of the opportunities the pet niche has to offer. In this piece, we will give you tips on how you can sell directory listings to pet shops.
How Pet Shops Benefit from Your Local Business Directory Listings
With local business directories, pet shops have a huge world of possibilities. Here is what pet shops stand to gain from your local business directory:
- Boosted Visibility: The more eyes you get on a business and brand, the more customers and revenue it draws. A directory is one of the best places to get more people to learn about the best pet shops and become their customers.
- Making Lasting Connections: Pet owners consider their pets part of their families, and businesses that help them acquire pets and pet products are an extension of that. When pet owners discover pet shops, they’re highly likely to refer others to them and become loyal customers.
- Additional Credibility: A business listing makes a business appear more trustworthy as a member of its local pet community. Once it begins garnering positive reviews and ratings, the listing solidifies the business’s reputation.
- Remaining Competitive: Every pet shop that has a listing on your business directory has the opportunity to convert the traffic you get into buying customers. Since each shop wants to compete against the rest, they would want to take advantage of the opportunity.
- Affordable Wide Reach: An online directory is much cheaper than traditional advertising methods like print ads. A listing is poised to reach a wider audience than any offline publicity method.
Tips on Selling Pet Shop Listings on Your Local Business Directory Website
If you need a sharp and effective website, we will get to that before the end. However, if you already have a top-quality one, we are introducing you to our comprehensive tips on how to sell local directory website listings to pet shops.
Tip 1: Identify Target Businesses
The first step is to identify the pet shops in the area you want. You can start by conducting local and online research. You can look at physical storefronts while scouring online directories for pet shops around you. You will undoubtedly get recommendations on the best pet shops if you can find local pet forums, communities, and social media groups
Moreover, niche events and gatherings expose you to established and budding pet businesses. Yelp and other online review platforms can be treasure troves of information on well-rated pet shops. In the social media age, there are many pet influencers with whom you can collaborate for insights and recommendations.
Tip 2: Write a Compelling Sales Pitch
Don’t wing it when contacting the businesses you want to list. Your sales pitch should highlight how much your targets need your directory website services. Therefore, you should analyze your value proposition and assess why they would benefit from signing up with your website. Here is a foolproof process for creating the best sales pitch possible:
- Introduce the most outstanding benefit that the pet shops will derive from your site.
- Raise their potential concerns and objections for them.
- Highlight their pain points, ending with the most glaring ones.
- Address how you will alleviate their “pain” with smaller benefits that complete the picture for them.
- Before concluding, reiterate your strongest benefit and leave it on their minds.
Emotions get people to take action more frequently than facts. Stories capitalize on emotions, so you can consider touching on all the major benefits and pain points with one. Your story could be fictitious, but a real one is much better. Tell a friend to ensure it sounds normal before using it.
Tip 3: Create Membership Packages
You don’t have to worry about the framework for membership tiers if your site is based on the CLDirectory theme (we’ll talk about that later). All you have to worry about are the specifics of your clientele, including their sizes and budgets. You can find out if you have competitors, how much their packages cost, and what you can offer that they don’t.
You can start by creating a free package under which users get some basic features and functions. Create two or more premium packages with added perks that make their prices worthwhile. For example, you can give pet shops with premium plans priority placement and access to certain promotional advantages.
Ensure that the value and features of each package are clear and concise. Show them why the free package bears no risk and a high reward possibility. At the same time, stress the advantages of the premium options that make them must-haves.
Tip 4: Give Trial Periods and Discounts
You can’t expect to start at the highest point of your revenue curve, so you have to make some concessions to get there. Early discounts and trial periods are bound to attract new businesses. Just make sure you clarify the value of the actual packages without the offers before introducing your offers so that they’re more enticing.
You can sign up businesses for plans with initial discount rates for their first couple of months. As for the trials, you can give one-month trials on one of the premium packages.
Tip 5: Follow Up and Cultivate a Positive Relationship with the Pet Shops
If you don’t hear from the pet shops that you’ve contacted, you should feel free to reach out to them. Follow-up contact enables you to start forging a relationship with your potential clients as you add to the information you have already given them. Ensure you show more patience and concern for them than their money. Most local businesses would appreciate a face-to-face, but you can also use emails or phone calls.
During these contact situations, ensure you provide the best possible customer service. You can go the extra mile by offering to create listings for the businesses, personalized support, and webinars. Giving them analytics on the performances of their businesses on your website makes your relationship tighter.
Tip 6: Create a Flexible and Robust Directory Website
Before doing anything else, ensuring you have the best website to sell your vision is crucial. A proper website should have various capabilities, including possibilities for business owners to sign up and create their own listings. Although you can help them, they should have an easy time editing the listings themselves.
You can have a directory website that houses all kinds of businesses or a strict pet shop listing directory. With the former, all you need to do is have business categories. The more features you need on your website, the stronger and more dynamic its build needs to be. This is why we recommend that you use WordPress and a business directory theme like CLDirectory.
WordPress and CLDirectory
WordPress is the world’s top CMS due to its different perks, including its themes. With a WordPress local business directory theme like CLDirectory, you can get from zero to a full-fledged website in a few minutes. This theme offers a whopping 2 multipage homepage demos that you can install with a single click.
CLDirectory has reCAPTCHA for spam protection, registration, login, abuse reports, listing postings, and contact forms. It also offers a social share feature that gives you the opportunity to widen your site’s reach. The payment gateways it accommodates include Stripe, PayPal, and Authorize.net. More features of the theme include:
- Buyer-seller live chat
- Membership and store facility with an addon
- Add to favorites
- Image number control per listing
- Image size control for gallery and thumbnail
- Currency control
- Post-based pricing option
- Multiple map sources
- Map list view
- Map widget
- Review and rating
- Email notification settings
The online documentation that the theme offers makes it easy to confirm how to create or edit anything on your website. Therein, you will find all the installation information as well. These are just a few of the reasons why CLDirectory is perfect for the job.
Tip 7: Create Excellent Listings
It doesn’t sound like much of a tip, but knowing how to go about it is necessary. You can start creating business listings when you have launched your WordPress website with all its pages and elements. However, you need to gather basic business information, including their names, addresses, phone numbers, website URLs, operating hours, and business descriptions. You can then go on to:
- Create captivating listing headlines and logos: Ensure that all listing descriptions are highlighted by the most attractive headlines and logos that represent the essence of the pet businesses.
- Write engaging business descriptions: The business descriptions that you write for each listing have to outline the services and products clearly. However, they should go the extra step in telling a story that raises curiosity and interest in the business.
- Add high-quality images: The sight of an adorable pet raises many emotions, and you should take advantage of this fact by adding beautiful and clear images. You should also add images of the business that give an idea of the pet shop’s ambiance.
- Display positive customer reviews: At the beginning, you can rely on the reviews and ratings that customers have left on the pet shops’ websites. You can later showcase those that were left on your own directory.
Other things that you should do include interactive map integration, social media integration, regular information updates, specifying operating hours, and displaying special offers and promotions.
Sell Your Directory Listings to the Local Pet Shops
To summarize, you can make your local business directory a reliable hub for businesses and their customers. The pet niche is one of the most passionate ones and can earn you loyal visitors and grow your site by leaps and bounds. If you use the practical strategies that we’ve outlined in this article, you will draw much closer to realizing that dream.